Separated Parents Information
Court ordered to attend?
Information on the Separated Parents Information Programme, or SPIP.
Booking half price programme?
Information on the Dispute Resolution Separated Parents Information Programme.
Separated Parents Information Programme
We are currently delivering the Separated Parents Information Programme for Cafcass which takes place in centres across Coventry and Warwickshire. This programme is only available to clients that have been ordered by the court to attend.
The 4 hour programme is delivered as a one off session in most cases and is usually delivered to a mixed group of applicants (parents applying for contact with their children) or respondents (parents responding to an application for contact). Parents are required to attend the entire 4 hour programme.
It should be noted that separated couples will not attend the same course.
Who is the programme for?
- Parents who are having difficulty focussing on the needs of the children due to on-going conflict
- Parents who find that their feelings and reactions to the separation are affecting their ability to communicate about the children
- Parents who are preparing for mediation
What’s included in the programme?
- The course takes a look at the divorce and separation process and encourages parents to think about solutions to their problems
- The wants and needs of the children
- How to communicate more effectively
- Understanding the effect that divorce and separation can have on your emotions
- Information and advice to help you move forward after separation and divorce
- This programme is currently available to those clients who may have been ordered to complete the SPIP as part of an activity direction from court. Alternatively clients are able to refer themselves to attend this programme voluntarily at a charge of £75 per person.
- We will only report back to Cafcass and the Courts to confirm parents’ attendance
- Parents can be ‘ordered’ to attend the Separated Parenting Information Programme and / or a mediation information meeting
- Cafcass is usually asked to advise the Court if it is suitable for parents to attend either of the above
- Courts have the power, by making a court order, to ‘direct’ parents to go to contact activities that are aimed at promoting safe contact with children
- Read the Cafcass Parenting Plan book at
How can I access this programme?
It is the view of Relate that any parent who has resorted to court action to resolve child contact, would benefit from this programme. We are keen to have as many parents as possible referred at the first hearing, so that we can try and help separating parents with the presenting issues at the earliest possible opportunity.
If you would like more information about the Separated Parents Information Programme (SPIP), please contact SPIP@relatecoventry.org or call/text 07741 293685